Saturday 1 December 2012

How I got started and my investment approach

I started to learn investing in the stock market more than a year ago. It has been a roller coaster ride so far, having been through the US rating downgrade by S&P in 2011 as well as the on-going European debt crisis, and the (possible) US fiscal cliff next year. Certainly not been easy for a novice share investor like me.

However, as the Chinese says "There is opportunity in danger". I believe that so long as one's fundamentals are intact, it is ok to take calculated risks. Of course, one of the most important mind set, I feel, is the need to be not greedy.

What got me started on investment was the book Rich Dad's Guide to Investing by Robert Kiyosaki. Now I regret having not started earlier when I was in my twenties, to allow more time for my investment to compound. In any case, better late than never! The book truly opened up my thinking and I started learning about investing. Having read a number of investment books while trying not to lose my money, from value investing books on the philosophies of Warren Buffett and Benjamin Graham, to growth investing books by William O' Neil, I now adopt a hybrid approach, that is:

To identify good companies and good yield stocks as part of my on-going research, and to monitor the market in order to buy these stocks when they are being offered at a good price.

I am still learning, and being human, emotions come into play. I make mistakes now and then, but treat them as good learning experiences, and believe that practice makes perfect (so long as I learn from these mistakes).

You can read the reviews from others and/or get the book that inspired me (Rich Dad's Guide to Investing by Robert Kiyosaki) from Amazon here:-
Rich Dad's Guide to Investing: What the Rich Invest in, That the Poor and the Middle Class Do Not!

Disclaimer: The ideas expressed in this blog should not be construed as an enticement to buy or sell the securities, commodities or assets mentioned. The accuracy or completeness of the information provided cannot be guaranteed. Readers should carry out independent verification of information provided. No warranty whatsoever is given and no liability whatsoever is accepted for any loss howsoever arising whether directly or indirectly as a result of actions taken based on ideas and information found in this blog.




No comments:

Post a Comment